Solved

Can I Offer a Fixed Price for Existing Subscribers?

• 21 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi folks, 

Prices change all of the time in our Shopify store. However I’d like to offer to our subscribers the feature of a fixed price for their subscriptions for an X period of time. Naturally, it would be the original price that they paid when they opted-in the subscription.

Is that possible?

icon

Best answer by Jenna.Fishman 21 July 2022, 23:11

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Tom,

Jenna here from the Recharge Product Marketing team.

I’m pleased to confirm that is how Recharge works out of the box.

When you update your website pricing, your existing subscribers price is locked in. The subscribers existing price will only change if you choose to run an update on it. 

Prices can be manually updated for individual subscribers within the Recharge merchant portal, or in bulk by following our help documentation. 

We typically see merchants plan outgoing communications to their existing subscribers before they implement a price change to avoid an unexpected surprise. 

Cheers!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I believe this is even the defaulted setting in Recharge but we have successfully changed our price with legacy customer keeping their original price. We’ve done this twice with no issues at all!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks, @Jenna.Fishman  and @Erica.Berthold !

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Erica.Berthold , I found your comment super interesting. Can you share a little bit more. How did you execute that price update?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Erica.Berthold also curious how you were able to grandfather in older prices?!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@russell @tombergs of course! To my understanding, Recharge’s default settings are to grandfather a customer’s price in on their subscription. So, when we change/increase a product price on Shopify, it ONLY changes the price for new customers who choose to subscribe. Legacy customers will get the original price they purchased their subscription at. You could manually change the price for legacy customers as well either on an individual basis or using bulk updates. Probably not recommended to also increase legacy customer’s price but that capability is possible too.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Erica.Berthold  thanks for sharing.