How Do We Win "False" Customer Disputes?

• 29 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have customers who don’t contact us at all and they dispute a charge AFTER the product is in their possession. They don’t reply to our emails or calls offering to send a return label/refund and then the disputes get upheld and we are left without the product or the money.

Does anyone have advice on what to submit to win these “false” disputes?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

a question @nfmike is there any trend or commonality in shopping behavior you’re seeing among where or how these specific type of customers are getting to your website? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Also, we had a slight issue like this at one point. It was noticeable, and repeated a trend,  as customers would place quite large orders for their first purchase and then dispute soon after receiving. 

Badge

No real trend, just random people who don’t cancel until their product arrives and we offer to send a call tag and issue a refund but they simply don’t reply. They choose to file a claim, keep the product, and they end up winning the refund as well so it’s a win win for them. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Bummer there are no trends in behavior - I guess scammers are going to scam.

Maybe adding on a charge back insurance to your stack could be helpful. 

https://www.clear.sale/  (haven’t used them)

hopefully, this is somewhat helpful. 

@Erica.Berthold do you all deal with this at all?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@nfmike I’m sorry to hear this! Thank you @russell for providing some insight on this.

I spoke with our payments team, and they suggested you get in touch with Stripe/Braintree/AuthNet instead and talk to them about what you’re seeing and how best to respond or prevent the situations. The payment gateways will know better what their anti-fraud solutions can do, and should also have a better insight into the dispute process.

Thank you!